Thursday, August 25, 2011

Foxy's Garden & A Recipe

I'm a bit late with the pictures of the garden this week, due to the other things I wanted to post about and last evening was the first I have been out to the garden in a while.  Praise God for his bountiful blessings!  As the pictures show, we are getting an abundance of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and the beans are finally starting to come around. 

Today, Foxy is going to try his hand at making Bread & Butter Pickles.  I have a lot of cucumbers, so this will be good if he can get it done. He is also getting the dehydrator out and drying the cayenne peppers.  Then tonight, after I take Son to get his Soccer Ref outfit, I will be canning tomatoes.  Hopefully, I will get to the banana pepper rings this weekend.

Lots of salsa, sauce and tomatoes to be put up for winter.



The first of the beans.  They just need to plump up.

Also, here is my recipe of the week, Beefy Rice Pie, from mrfood.com.

1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound hot/sweet Italian pork sausage, casings removed
8 oz tomato sauce
2 cups cooked rice
4 slices Mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and sausage for 8 - 10 minutes over medium-high heat, until cooked and crumbly; drain off excess liquid and set aside in a medium bowl.  In another medium bowl, combine tomato sauce and rice, then layer half the mixture in skillet.  Top w/half the meat mixture, then place 2 slices of mozzarella cheese over the top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.  Repeat layers.  Cover and cook over mediume low heart for 8 - 10 minutes or until cheese melts.  Let sit 5 minutes, then slice into wedges and serve immediately.

Sounds yummy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List