Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rain, Rain

Last night, after my Son's basketball game (which he had 2 points, and 8 rebounds), my nephew came home with us. The boys messed around with Son's guitar, talked about lots of things and mainly got caught up.  I decided it was getting late and I had to get up early, so I told them to get ready and I'd take him home.  Son went with us.  We get in the car, pull out of the driveway, and take off through the neighborhood.  Just as we get to the main road, the heaven's let loose on one of the worst rain storms I have ever witnessed. 

Flashback to 25 years ago:  My dad and I are driving down the highway in his Dodge Rampage (a little, low-riding truck).  We were on our way to Eldora Speedway on the Western edge of Ohio, when the storm of all storms hit.  *SIDE NOTE* Miss Brown aka the Rampage, was hit by lightning a few years before and had a personality all it's own.  It's lights would work when it wanted, the radio would randomly come on, and the wipers would just quit.  As the rain poured like buckets, the spray from the semi in front of us did not help.  We were holding our own until...the wipers quit working.  So Dad tells me to watch the solid white line on my side of the road.  We slowly creep along the highway, just getting pounded.  There is little conversation because the rain is so loud on the truck.  Dad finally asks after about 10 minutes, how we are doing.  I tell him, "I don't know.  I can't see the line anymore."  He takes his foot off the gas and we pull over.

Last night:  The reason last night was so bad was that the lines were not as visible, and while driving, I could actually see the huge drops in front of my lights.  Oh, and it was dark.  I went about 30 miles an hour all the way to Lebanon.  It was scary!  Luckily, we didn't have any mishaps last night, but that rain was intense!

Also last evening, Daughter went to a DCI Competition.  This is a Drum and Bugle Corps Show with 12 - 15 bands from all over the nation competing.  That got hit hard with rain too, stopping the show twice.  She came home pretty wet, but totally happy.  She doesn't go out with just friends too much, and this was fun for her.  We have a friend from church who actually competes for the BlueCoats.  Unfortunately, the BlueCoats were supose to be the last group, but because the field was so muddy, they did not perform. :-(.

My big rant is that because of the President's little speech, So You Think You Can Dance was held over by 15 or 20 minutes.  If I had know this, then I would have adjusted the DVR.  I have not watched all the dances yet, just the first four dances.  I thought the Bollywood number was great, as was the Nap & Tab hip hop number.  But nothing was to outstanding...yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List