Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wacky Wednesday

Welcome to all the new friends!  I hope you enjoy what I post.  Today is Wacky Wednesday, the day I devote to the wackiness of my family!

I love to cook/bake and try new recipes.  While growing up, my mom would try new recipes once in a while, but usually my dad would complain that she was trying to poison him or something.  Supper time was always about 5:30 pm every night.  We knew when it was suppertime because the theme to M*A*S*H would come on.  Or , the smoke alarm would come on.  That was a frequent offender in our house.  My dad joked a lot about my Mom's cooking.  Here are some of the things he said.

"I married a farmer's daughter because I know they can cook.  I didn't realize I married the one who learned to drive the tractor."

"One night after we all went to bed, the smoke alarm went off.  I went out to see what was going on and the kids were sitting around the table, thinking it was time for supper."

"If it wasn't for my mother-in-law the first two years of our marriage, I wouldn't have made it."  (My grandma was a great cook.) 

My mom is a good cook. She has a few wonderful recipes that we love. Son asks frequently for her Barbecue Meatballs and Chocolate Pie.  Daughter loves only her Potato Salad.  But some of her tries weren't as triumphant.  Like the spare ribs she put in the crockpot.  For some reasons that I forget (I was quite young), they cooked for like 3 days in the crockpot.  When she finally had the chance to serve them, they were black, but kinda edible (I think.) 

Right now I do not cook to often.  I have a Daughter, Son and Foxy make the meals.  I just pick them out, plan them, shop for missing ingredients, and make sure things are thawed.  Last night we had Garlic Beef Tamales and Mexican Rice.  It was really good.  Tomorrow, we are having Ham and Tortellini.  I can't wait.  What is on your menu this week?

3 comments:

  1. I rarely have a menu planned out. But, now on Wednesdays my daughter is cooking, so I'll have to wait and see what she conjures up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father's quotes made me smile. :)
    We need groceries at my house, so we've been having breakfast food for supper this week. I need to go shopping!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you had Hubby and I laughing out loud as I read your Dad's jokes about your Mom's cooking to him. What a riot! Thanks for the great laugh and for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List