Thursday, September 23, 2010

Favorite Cookies and Randomness

It's Thursday!  I am looking forward to the weekend already.

Last night, we drove and hour to go to a church family member's parent funeral visitation. The sweet lady and her husband had been over to our church many times to listen to the choir sing, watch their grandkids in plays and was just always there to support them.  I know she will be missed sorely.

So on the way over, Son had my iPod and we were all listening to it.  He started singing some of the songs in a falsetto voice and Daughter started to record him on her phone.  We were laughing so hard.  We found out that he only knows the chorus of most of the songs, and then starts making up words or mumbling.  Quite amusing.

So this morning, I need to leave early to go get gas.  I will stop and get a cup of coffee too.  I usually just wait until I get to work to drink my coffee.  It's free there.  But stopping at the gas station, I can get different flavors and sometimes that is just nice.

So when my children were younger, I would make sugar cookies and ice them for their classes.  I had one teacher who thought I made the best cookies ever.  (Bless her.)  I honestly did nothing spectacular with them, but I love to make cut-out cookies.  So here is my recipe.

Betty Crocker Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 cup Butter, softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Extract (I use Almond or Peppermint)
1 Egg
2 1/2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar

Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, extract and egg.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Cover and refridgerate at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Divide dough into halves.  Roll half of dough to 3/4" or thinner on a lightly floured cloth covered board.  Cut into desired shapes.  Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until the edges are light brown.

For the frosting/icing I love to use the shiny Royal icing, but can not seem to place my fingers on it.  If you want it, let me know and I'll find it for you.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I NEVER get coffee at work. I work at a hospital and there's something about germ ridden hands that turns me right off. Plus drinking out at the unit desk also makes my stomach turn. Too bad though cause I love and NEED my morning cup o joe.

    PS. So you're coming over to bake me those cookies right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I'm definitely going to try that recipe! Thanks for sharing :) I love simple sugar cookies with cute decor - can't go wrong there!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List