Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wacky Wednesday! Family Vacations. Good times, good times...

Today I have no idea what to tell about.  Saturday night, I was sitting around with my parents, Daughter and Foxy talking about vacation stories that we used to take when I was a kid.  Here are a few random stories.

  • My dad is a huge history buff.  So almost every trip, there would be a history lesson.  Like when we went over to Eastern Ohio to see the spot where Chief Logan signed a peace treaty and made a big speech under this huge Elm tree.  When we got to the spot, there was no tree, just a big rock that marked the spot!  The tree died a few years before.  
  • We took several trips to outdoor plays in Ohio.  The first was Tecumseh!, a play about a great prophet of the Shawnee tribe. I was about eight years old.  As we were watching, fighting broke out among the soldiers and Natives and they came out into the audience.  One native fell and died right next to me on the steps.  As the scene ended, the stage blackened.  When the lights came back up, I looked over and the dead Indian was gone!   I leaned over and whispered to my dad, "Where'd the dead guy go?"  
  • My dad's family lived in California all of my childhood.  Every four years or so, we would fly out there for a week or so.  When I was a teen, my uncle J and I were walking arm-in-arm looking around Monterey and Carmel and he was explaining that a lot of condominiums were being built.  He looked at me and said, "When you are older, we'll go buy a condom together."  I stopped dead in my tracks and screeched, "WHAT?  Boy did his face turn read when he realized what he said!  LOL
  • Another time, we were vacationing out in California and staying at a hotel called the Brigadoon, with my Uncle J, his wife, Aunt EO and cuz, AD.  Gma was sitting in a chair next to the pool and the rest of us were in the water throwing a ball or frisbee around.  Gpa threw the thing too high and as Uncle J came up out of the water, his swim trucks did not.  It happned right in front of Gma.  Both Uncle J and Gma had beet red faces!  That was the night my mom got mooned at the Brigadoon!  We still laugh about that!
  • We were in South Dakota as teens, visiting Mount Rushmore.  Gpa had heard about these wild burro that you could go see.  So we drove up this dirt road and sure enough there they were.  Stupidly, we got out of the Jeep Wagoneer and got close to them.  My sister had a box of Crunch N Munch and started giving the burros some.  Well, those burro were not wild at all.  They started pushin' in, trying to get at the box.  Sis ran for the jeep, and as she tried to get in the car, the inside door handle or the window handle caught her shorts and ripped them almost off of her.  She got the door closed, but the window was down and this burro stuck it's head in and my sis, being as lady-like as she was (NOT!), hollered, "You stupid, sloberish animal!  Get out!" and hauled off and decked it.  LOL.  Funniest thing ever!
So do you have any funny memories of family vacations? 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Those are funny. We used to go to New Braunfels every summer for a week when I was a kid. A few times my grandma came with us. One time we were sitting on the couch in the hotel room taking pictures. And Me, my brother and grandma acted as if we were the monkeys, hear, see, speak no evil. When the picture was developed it looked as if my grandma had a beard. It was so funny! I still have that picture today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL a condom and a sister decking a burro! Those are awesome family members!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend took her son on an airplane for the first time. The whole holiday he went around saying 'we don't have this in our world do we mummy'!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List