Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Weekend Update on Wednesday


Even though it's Wednesday, I'm doing my weekend update, because you know, you can't do it on Tuesday because that's Post-It Note day, and I took Monday as a holiday, and I have some pictures and stuff!

So Friday afternoon, I went and got the corn.  We shucked 23 dozen ears of corn in about 2 hours.  Not bad for Gma, Gpa, Daughter, BFF and Tall Neighbor. 
  Friday evening, the kids had their last parade practice.  Then we went out to eat and home. 

Saturday morning, my mom came over and we went to town boiling, cutting, scraping and bagging the corn.  We did about 22 dozen.  That got us about 20 pints and 20 or so quarts. 

It took us about 5 hours to finish.  We had to stop once when we ran out of gas for the turkey fryer.  I use that to parboil the corn in.  I can get about 30 ears in the fryer at one time.  So Gpa and Son went and got the gas and another big bag of ice.  We put water and ice in a cooler to cool down the semi cooked corn so we can handle it.  Gma did a lot of the cutting, while I did the cooking and the cooling and whatever else was needed.

Saturday evening, we went looking for a dress for Daughter. Son and Daughter and leaving Sunday for The Mall of Americal with my parents.  Gma told them that they have to take one nice outfit "in case we go to a nice restaurant".  So that gave Daughter an excuse to get a new dress.  Plus she wants one for her Sweet Sixteen bash in a few weeks.  Here is what we found.


We got this for $30!  We also got a cute, cute, sundress for under $20.  Love holdiay sales!

We then went and saw Mason's fireworks.  There were okay.  We, Foxy, Daughter and BFF had fun.  Son went to spend the night at a friends house to watch the UFC match.

So Sunday, we got up, went to church.  The choir did a Red, White, and Blue cantata called "This Is My Country".  We got lots of great comments.  I appreciate that!

Then home to eat quick and get the kids to the band meeting place.  The parade started at 4 pm. 

Daughter is smack dab in the middle.  It was 90 degrees +, they walked around 2 miles and she smiled all the way.  I don't think I have much in the way to worry about her.

Son is in the back row, a step ahead of the other cymbal player.  He did great.  He said his arm started hurting, but he hung in there and got it under his belt.  I am so proud of both of them.

We then messed around, took them home to change clothes and came back to the park for the fireworks.  As usual, Monroe's were pretty good.  Not great, but I liked them.  The worst part, was getting out of the park.  See, there is one way in and out, the same way.  So it took us almost an hour to go the 3 miles to our house.  Crazy!  Once we got out of the park, it was smooth sailing.  But we sat there forever!

While waiting for the fireworks, BFF and I lit sparklers.  We were writing in the air, and one of the sparklers, fell back on me.  Burnt a hole in my tank top, fell down to my stomach and burnt me in two little places.  It hurt a little, but I'm tough. 

Monday, I got up, started cleaning while Foxy went to church to help Gpa with something or another.  Son had another friend, Bro J, come spend the night, so at noon, we took him back.  Then we went to the grocery.  I got stuff for the rest of the world, and then came home and started cleaning, and laundry.  Then we had my parents over for ribs, beans, fruit, and apple pie with ice cream!  Yummy!

Well that was my weekend. 

The end!

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, your weekends are always jam packed! I love DD's new dress and what a steal! Congrats to the kiddos for surviving the parade...it has been so hot! Oh, how I remember those parade days back in HS. Ouch to the sparkler. They terrify me. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress! I love dresses and dress deals!I want to go to Mall of America!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is A LOT of corn!!! I just love the dress and can't believe it was only $30!!!! Way cool!! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pink dress! It looks so good on her. More power to you on the corn shucking too. Sorry I have been MIA this week. We are smack dab in the middle of the world series. Last week of baseball. I have no idea what I am going to do. :) Have a great rest of the week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute dress! Following you back from FF!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List